Tottenham Well 






About Us

Exploring Tottenham's Heritage

A series of free events organised by the Tottenham Civic Society

The Society organises an annual programme of events which includes walks, led by ourselves or by architects and other experts, around conservation areas, parks and housing estates, as well as visits to various buildings of interest both new and old.  A list of our past events for the eleven years 2006-2016 can be found here.

There is one more event in the 2018 calendar, as below:

Christmas Social

Wednesday 19 December 8.00pm onwards

Inscriberate your diaries for the social event of the season!  Some of us will doubtless be there a bit earlier than 8.00pm, but come one, come all to meet other TCS people for a chat and have a drink at Tottenham's community-owned public house, The Antwerp Arms at 168-170 Church Road, N17 8AS.

For those who don't know, "The Annie" is the oldest working public house in N17, and a short distance from White Hart Lane stadium, home to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.  Spurs fans have been regulars ever since 1882 when E.L. Sprylions, a bible teacher at nearby All Hallows Church, first set up the footbnall club for grammar-school boys attending his classes.  Long-standing and much-loved landlords of The Antwerp Arms include the O'Brien family who owned it from 1896 into the 1940s, and Joan and John Walker who welcomed guests from the 1960s to the 1980s.  When it was tghreatened with conversion into flats in 2013, the Bruce Castle Village Association (BCVA) took advantage of 2011's Localism Act to apply for the pub to be listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV), which led to its eventual purchase by the community via shares and an SIB Capital Assets grant in March 2015.

Walks in Haringey

Visitors to this page may also wish to note that the Haringey Friends of Parks Forum has published a number of booklets covering various walks in Haringey.  These include a walk from Alexandra Palace to Bruce Castle, the route of the (mostly culverted) River Moselle from Muswell Hill to the River Lea, the route of the former Palace Gates railway from Alexandra Palace to Seven Sisters, and (most recently published) a collection of walks around the borough's parks.  The booklets are linked (and can all be downloaded) from the front page of its website.

Follow us on facebook Facebook

Back to top of page

Web pages © 2009-2017 by Ann Robertson and Joseph Nicholas